The Newberry County School District and Richland School District 2 formally adopted the Profile at recent school board meetings.
“This is something different, this will not begin when the student is in high school, but when the student comes to us. This could be as young as three years old,” said Dr. Lynn Cary, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction for the Newberry County School District.
South Carolina ASCD (the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development) has also formally adopted the Profile.
Originally written by a group of South Carolina school district superintendents in 2012, the Profile is a description of the knowledge, skills and characteristics that are critical for South Carolina’s graduates to compete in a global economy.
Various groups across the state have adopted the Profile, including:
- SC Arts in Basic Curriculum Steering Committee
- SC Chamber of Commerce
- SC Council on Competitiveness
- SC Education Oversight Committee
- SC State Board of Education
- SC State Department of Education
- TransformSC Network of Schools and Districts